Don’t ask questions just know that this blog entry is necessary. Home reno and DIY television have started to skew my original idea of an ideal man. Although it may appear as though my standards have slumped, it’s not entirely true — my ability to think practically has just kicked in a little more. I used to be all about educated suit and tie wearing professionals but Carhartts are really starting to win me over.
1. Fireman/Paramedic – They save lives, how can that not be a. handy in case you need some saving or b. sexy? With one of these two around you always either have someone to put out your fire in all the right ways or someone to nurse you while you’re feeling less than optimal. Swooon.
2. Carpenter – They can build and fix things! Everything, anything! Best kind of man to have around the house. If you want a dream walk in closet with shoe storage, etc., etc. he is the man to make your dreams come true. Not to mention, pretty hot covered in soot and saw dust? Yeah! They’re also always the cute ones on the home shows.
3. Police Officer/RCMP/National Defenseman – Not only do they save lives but they also protect the community, the country, the WORLD. Figures of authority bringing bad guys to justice, and, making sure when we finally have children that our kids are safe from speeding cars in the playground zones. They’re the kind of men who make you feel all safe and stuff, ohh yeah. Hot. Do I even need to mention they wear uniforms? Rawr. Navy polyester, camo and bright red wool have never been so appealing.
4. Plumber/Electrician/HVAC/Welder (tradesman) – Sort of the same idea as the carpenter’s appeal — these guys can be all kinds of handy. They aren’t quite as saucy as carpenters because their jobs are a bit dirtier (poop?) and far more specific so they might not be dream closet kind of handy. It is nice to know that these guys do have handy in them already however and chances are they’re going to be pretty decent at all kinds of other things.
5. Geologist – Something about these rock loving geeks has always got me a little giddy! Part of my adoration may be that I actually quite enjoy geology myself, but I’m not 100%. I guess geologists are attractive because they’re generally pretty smart, educated dudes but the kind that don’t mind getting dirty.
6. Civil, Chemical, Geological, Petroleum, Environmental (pretty much anything that isn’t IT related) Engineer – The academic tradesmen. Hot. Although engineers are infamous for being a “certain breed” (negative connotation if you know what I mean) I’ve met and befriended a lot in my day and I find most of them pretty rad. Something about seeing those pinky rings just really excites me.
7. Teacher – Um they educate the future, that is a pretty big deal. It’s attractive knowing a man enjoys being around kids/youth and will be able to set a good example for your future children together. Also, he obviously knows stuff about stuff. Gym teacher isn’t as awesome though, just saying. My personal favourite would be elementary or social studies, fyi, in case you were wondering.
8. Doctor – I’m not crazy about the idea of all sorts of whacko hours and the on call business, although I guess some of the above could be prone to that too. What I am crazy about though is the fact that these dudes are MEGA educated and can more than nurse your cold, they can overhaul your whole bod! Yay for docs.
9. Academic – Professors and published geniuses kind of academics of course. As long as the dude is making a living out of his academic ways instead of being a life long student waiting tables and living on a slummy couch somewhere — definite difference. I think being uber smart is awesome and living a life of intellectual enlightenment wouldn’t be so awful, plus people would always be so impressed by your husbands suave smartness.
10. Social Worker/Counselor/NGO - Yeah people usually think of it as a woman’s job to be a social worker or a counselor but I think choosing to help others as a career is a pretty noble life choice. I’ve met a few social working, counsel those who need it type men and I must say — impressive. If they go to Africa and hand out care packages to orphans — even more amazing.
Others that could be on the list but aren’t quite up there: Lawyer — I work with them everyday so the dream is no longer as awesome as it once could have been; Archeologist — similar appeal as Geologist; Historian — could be considered an academic; Mechanic — good to know he can keep the cars in tip top shape and use his hands well but just not as handy as others; Chef — man who can cook, kind of hot, but I can cook too…; some type of executive — dollar signs specifically come to mind.
Those that just don’t make the grade: Bicycle Couriers — arguably one of the most vile types of creature roaming the inner city; Garbageman — garbage just isn’t sexy and the smell is penetrating; Rigger/anything that pays obnoxious under educated men way too much money — I don’t have total disgust for this line of work and some of those who work up there are definitely trained professionals and even well educated but there is a giant stigma thanks to a lot of danks that work “up north” making hoards of cashflow that make the whole idea of a 10 on 4 off kind of guy not so hot.